Make this fun peek-a-boo 3 leaf clover pound cake for a St. Patrick’s Day dessert! Kids always love cutting into cakes and finding surprises! You can use any pound cake recipe for this you just double them.
- I used a basic pound cake recipe and doubled it. I put half in a separate bowl and dyed it green. It used most of the bottle to get that shade.
- I cooled it then sliced it into inch thick slices and put them in the freezer for 10 minutes so they would cut easier.
- I couldn’t find a shamrock cookie cutter anywhere, and the one my mom sent me was too big, so I drew up a template and cut them out. I would recommend a 2 inch cookie cutter for best results, as they will be a bit crisper in shape and it would save a lot of time. But in a pinch I think this turned out really cute.
- I then put a thin layer of batter on the bottom of my pan and stuck the clovers in standing up and GENTLY topped it with the rest of the batter then baked as normal. So so so simple. And what surprised me the most was how moist it was even though the clovers had been baked twice.
- Now what I did to make mine extra special was replace 1/4 cup of the milk with lime juice, and then I made a lime simple syrup and let the cake soak in it. The simple syrup was 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup lime juice. I also think that adding some mint extract to the basic pound cake recipe would be really good. Just a little something special to really set this apart.
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.