Make some pineapple upside down cake jello shots this summer! These use alcohol but you could omit it to make for the kiddos too!
Yields: 12 (2.5 oz) Jell-O shots
Pineapple Upside-Down Jello Shots
- 12 2.5 oz plastic Jell-O shots cups
- 12 maraschino cherries with stems
- 2 cups pineapple juice
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup vodka - chilled
- 2 Tablespoons grenadine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Optional - splash of Amaretto in each cup
- Cut off the the bottom of each stemmed cherry and place in the plastic cups. Place the plastic cups inside a mini muffin tin or place on a cookie sheet. Set aside the bottom pieces for later use.
- Add the pineapple juice to a small saucepan and warm the juice under medium/low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not allow the juice to boil. Remove from heat and whisk in the sugar and unflavored gelatin.
- Return to medium heat and whisk constantly until the gelatin is completely dissolved (about 2 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add the chilled vodka and stir well.
- Divide the pineapple vodka mixture evenly into 2 bowls. Add the grenadine to one bowl (it will make the juice a red-orange color) and pour over the cherries in each plastic cup, filling each cup 1/2 of the way. Optional - add a splash of amaretto to each cup. Set aside the remaining bowl of juice for Step 7.
- Chill for 30 minutes to allow the gelatin to "set."
- Once chilled, pour the remaining pineapple vodka mixture on top of the orange layer and return to the refrigerator. Chill for an additional 30 minutes.
- Take the bottom pieces of the cherries and poke a hole into the middle of each piece. Once the pineapple upside down Jello-O shots are "set," slide a cherry piece over each stem and allow each piece to lay on top of the yellow layer.
- To pop them out, set the cups in warm water and they will pop right out!
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.