If you are stuffed up and wanting to know how to clear mucus from your sinuses, try this homemade DIY lavender decongestant shower melts! Turn on a steamy hot shower and drop one of these melts by the drain. That’s it! You will feel so much better. But do note that they will make the shower very slippery so be careful. Some people have said they use a small plate and put it on there and the steam melts it. Then you can drain it out in a sink!
- 4 tbsp. Vick’s Vapor Rub
- 10 drops of Lavender essential oil
- ½ c. Cornstarch
- ½ c. Baking soda
- 3-4 tbsp. Water
- Purple food coloring (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cornstarch and baking soda.
- Add 4 tablespoons of Vick’s Vapor Rub to the mixing bowl, and stir until it is combined well. This will be hard at first, but it will eventually blend with the dry ingredients. The consistency at this time will be loose and crumbly.
- Pour in 10 drops of lavender essential oil and stir.
- Slowly add in water 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring thoroughly before adding more. You want the mixture to form a paste that clumps together, but you do not want it to be runny. If you add too much water, you can add in a tiny bit of baking soda and stir again.
- If you would like to color your mixture, add a few drops of purple food coloring at this time, and mix well.
- Press a tablespoon or more of your mixture into a mini muffin tin or a small ice cube tray. This mix will make 8 mini shower melts.
- Place the tray in the freezer for at least an hour to harden. Slip out your melts and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When ready to use, place one shower melt near the drain while showering. Use caution, as the shower melts can cause the floor to be slippery.
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.