These delicious cupcakes can be gross to look at for us adults, but they will get your kids so excited with the tasty chocolate cake underneath, to the chocolate butter cream on top and finally, the scrumptious ‘mud like’ chocolate topping, it’s enough to get your children screaming with excitement.
Creates: 18 Cupcakes (12 Cupcakes with 6 left over for crumbling to create the chocolate mud effect)
Preparation Time: 1 – 1 ½ hr
Baking Time: 20 mins
Ingredients for the Cake:
- 7/8 Cup Butter (at room temperature)
- 1 Cup Caster Sugar
- 1 1/8 Cup Plain Flour
- ½ Cup Cocoa Powder (I like to use over 70% cocoa solids)
- 4 Eggs
- ½ tbsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
For the Butter Cream:
- 4 Cups Icing Sugar
- 1 1/8 Cups Unsalted Butter (at room temperature)
- ¾ Cup Chocolate (over 70% cocoa) melted
- 2 tbsp Milk
- Gummy worms
- Now, add in your eggs one at a time, once the first egg has been well incorporated into the mixture, then add in the second and continue the process like the first egg.
- Once this color change occurs, add in your sugar and beat again until the texture becomes light and fluffy.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter and beat continuously for 5 minutes, until the butter becomes fully aerated and turns from a yellow color to a pale cream color.
- Set your oven to 350F and line a cupcake baking tray with paper cupcake liners.
- Once the 20 minutes are up, remove the cupcakes from the baking tray and leave to cool fully on a wire cooling rack.
- Whilst your cupcakes are cooling, this will give you the perfect amount of time to whip up your butter cream and mud-like topping.
- In a clean, dry bowl add your butter at room temperature and beat continuously for 5 minutes.
- Once the color changes from a yellow color to a pale cream color, add your icing sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring it in with each addition.
- Once all of your icing sugar has been added, you will find the consistency of the butter cream to be very tough, this will all change as you add in your melted chocolate and your milk.
- Now all of your ingredients have been added, pipe onto your 12 cupcakes.
- Go over to your spare cupcakes and break them up into mud -like pieces and crumbs.
- Take your iced cupcakes and roll them in the cupcake crumbs, these should now look like mud on top of your cupcakes.
- Place your jelly worms on the top of the mud and inside the mud, so that they look authentic.
There you have it, a delicious chocolate mud cupcakes for kids. These amazing but gross looking cupcakes will go down a treat at any kid’s birthday party. If you would like to see more of our delicious tasty treats, please take a look at our website – www.jenniferscakes.co.ukMake sure to follow Crafty Morning on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.