Prep time: 8-10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time excluding cooling up to 55 minutes
Serves: Up to 8 depending on how thick the slices are
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- Zest of three lemons (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3/8 cup or 6 tbsp of plain greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray your baking loaf pan with coconut oil or baking spray and line with parchment paper and lightly spray that paper with coconut oil or baking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and zest together. Next add the softened butter, eggs, and vanilla extract and set aside (no need to mix yet). In your glass-measuring cup, add the milk and yogurt and microwave for 30 seconds (we aren’t really trying to heat the mixture to hot just get it to room temperature at a quicker pace without leaving the dairy on the counter for several hours).
- Pour the lemon juice into the Greek yogurt mixture and then pour all ingredients into your bowl. Using your handheld mixer with beaters attached, mix all ingredients until just combined (never over mix).
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan, give the pan a few taps against the counter to prevent any air pockets and baking in the preheated oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out with a few crumbs or clean but not with wet batter.
- Remove the pan from the oven and cool on the counter for 5 minutes then invert the loaf onto a cooling rack and cool for another 45 minutes to an hour.
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.