How to Make Popsicle Stick Christmas Ornaments
Make some adorable popsicle stick Christmas ornaments! We made a star and a Christmas tree using the dollar store craft sticks. This makes a cheap activity if you already have the paint and embellishments!
The star ones are very easy to make using just 5 popsicle sticks! I think the glitter just makes them more pretty.
The Christmas tree ornament uses 5 popsicle sticks but you'll need to cut the edges to make the cool design. If you're going to make these with younger kids I recommend using washable paints (so they won't stain their hands).
There's so many ways kids can decorate these ornaments, the possibilities are endless!
Popsicle Stick Christmas Ornaments
- Jumbo Craft Sticks – Dollar Store
- Wooden Stars – Dollar Store
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Green Yellow and Brown
- Glitter Paint or Glitter Glue - Gold
- Rhinestones Assorted Colors – Dollar Store
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks
- Liquid Glue with Fine Tip Applicator
- Ribbon – Dollar Store
- Gather all supplies. For each Star ornament basecoat five jumbo craft sticks with bright yellow craft paint. For each Tree ornament basecoat both ends of a jumbo craft stick with brown craft paint, five jumbo craft sticks with green craft paint, and one wooden star with bright yellow craft paint. Apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Topcoat all jumbo craft sticks and wooden star with gold glitter glue and then set aside to dry. Use liquid craft glue and gold glitter or gold glitter acrylic paint if you don’t have glitter glue.
- Dry fit the five yellow craft sticks to create a star shape. Carefully remove each craft stick, apply glue at the intersections and rebuild the star shape. Hot or low temp glue gun and glue sticks will work best for this type of project.
- Measure and cut a two-inch section from each end of the brown craft stick to be the tree trunk. Dry fit three green craft sticks in a triangle shape to be the tree. Attach at the intersections with a glue gun and glue sticks. Attach remaining two green craft sticks as the tree branches and then trim excess with scissors. Glue tree trunk to base of tree and star to top of tree.
- Attached assorted color rhinestones to the Star and the Tree ornaments with liquid glue and fine tip applicator. TIP: If working with younger children try to find self-adhesive rhinestones.
- Measure and cut a 10” length of ribbon and tie the ends in a knot to create a loop. Secure the knot end to the back of the Star and the Tree ornaments to create a hanger.