This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
Here's a cute idea for the 4th of July...make flag oreo cookies! They would be so cute laid out on a platter. They are so easy to make too!
- 12 OREO cookies
- ½ cup white candy melts
- ¼ cup red candy melts
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
- Blue & White Star Sprinkles
- Prepare a surface with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for the candy-dipped OREOs to dry on.
- Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second bursts and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Dip the OREOs halfway into the melted white candy, pull out and let any excess candy drip off, and then double dip.
- Allow the white candy coating to dry - I found that by the time I was done the 12th cookie, the 1st cookie was dry.
- Melt the red candy melts using the same method outlined above.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted red candy over the white candy coating in straight stripes. Immediately sprinkle the Star sprinkles overtop.
Allow to dry before serving or storing. Will keep in a covered container for two weeks.
Make sure to check out all our other red white and blue dessert ideas!
Make sure to follow Crafty Morning on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)