This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
Here's a cute idea for the 4th of July...make flag oreo cookies! They would be so cute laid out on a platter. They are so easy to make too!
- 12 OREO cookies
- ½ cup white candy melts
- ¼ cup red candy melts
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable shortening or lard
- Blue & White Star Sprinkles
- Prepare a surface with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat for the candy-dipped OREOs to dry on.
- Melt the white candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, along with a tablespoon of shortening, heating for 20 second bursts and stirring in between until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Dip the OREOs halfway into the melted white candy, pull out and let any excess candy drip off, and then double dip.
- Allow the white candy coating to dry - I found that by the time I was done the 12th cookie, the 1st cookie was dry.
- Melt the red candy melts using the same method outlined above.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the melted red candy over the white candy coating in straight stripes. Immediately sprinkle the Star sprinkles overtop.
Allow to dry before serving or storing. Will keep in a covered container for two weeks.