- 1 1/2 cups flour, divided
- 3/4 cup salt, divided
- 3 teaspoons cream of tartar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- Food Colorings – green, purple and black
FOR EACH COLOR OF PLAYDOUGH:
1. Add 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup salt and 1 teaspoon of cream of tartar to a small mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
2. Pour 1/2 cup hot water into a saucepan. Add 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and 3-4 drops of food coloring. Stir to combine.
3. Add the flour mixture and stir to combine.
4. Place saucepan on stovetop and heat under medium heat, stirring occasionally until a thick lump of dough forms (about 1 minute). Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
5. Once cooled, knead the playdough with your hands for about 5 minutes or until it feels soft and pliable.
** You can also just make one big batch of the playdough instead (just triple the above directions). Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and place in 3 separate ziplock bags. Add food coloring to each bag, seal and knead. This process might be faster but I found that the colors are not as vibrant.
HOW TO USE
Once you have your 3 colors of playdough made (green, purple and black), the fun can start!
To build your playdough witch, gather some of the following materials:
1. Striped pipe cleaners (for her socks)
2. Black pipe cleaners or black string for her hair
3. Googly eyes
4. Pumpkin seeds for her nose
5. Popcorn kernels for her warts
6. Wooden stick for her broom
7. Raffia ribbon for her broom
8. Spider ring for her finger
Of course, you can choose your own materials to use, these are just examples. Your kiddos will have hours of fun building their own Halloween playdough witches!Make sure to follow Crafty Morning on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.