Prep time: 4 hours to overnight
Cook time: 35 minutes
Serves 4 servings
Ingredients for carne asada marinade:
- 2 lbs of skirt steak (trimmed of membrane and connective tissues) or flank
- 1/3 cup of EVOO
- ¼ cup of fresh lime juice
- ¾ cup of fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup of red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 6 garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¾ cup of cilantro, chopped
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- ¾ tsp coarse black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup of Worcestershire
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and allow the meat to marinate up to 4 hours or overnight covered in the refrigerator.
- Allow the meat to come to room temperature for up to 30 minutes; this is the perfect time to prepare your grill. If using skirt, grill each side of the meat for 5 minutes or until desired doneness; flank will take a little longer per each side as it’s a thicker cut of meat.
- Once done to liking, transfer the meat to plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes; finely chop the meat against the grain and set aside.
Building the fries Ingredients:
- 1 bag of 26 oz fries (any style will do but typically the thin-cut or fast food style fries are commonly used)
- Prepared guacamole (see recipe)
- Plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 16 oz bag of shredded Mexican cheese
- Oil for frying
- Cook fries according to bag until crispy; drain on paper towels and prepare your plate or serving dish.
- Place a handful of fries on plate, sprinkle ¼ to ½ cup of cheese over the fries. Layering; next add your carne asada, guacamole, and Greek yogurt. Serve immediate and enjoy!.
Make sure to follow Crafty Morning on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.