One popular snack that kids love are cheez-it crackers! Today i'm sharing with you a homemade cheez-it recipe for you to make in your own kitchen. Surprisingly these even taste better than the box ones at the store (to me at least).
- 8 oz of Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese (or any cheese you would like! Mix and match, I think pepper jack or manchego would be amazing) room temp
- 1 cup All-Purpose flour
- 4 tbsp butter - room temp
- 2 tbsp ice water
- 1 tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using your food processor, add chunks of cheese (or grated cheese, it saves a step!) until it is broken into small pieces, then add flour, salt, and butter to combine. This should form a dough that is starting to come together nicely. Add water a tsp at a time until all the dough comes together. You want to use as little water as possible so you get a nice crispy cracker, that is why the room temperature cheese is important.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate just until the dough has firmed up a bit.
- Roll out between two pieces of parchment paper until ⅛ inch thick. Cut into 1 inch squares and poke holes using a toothpick in the center.
- Place on baking sheet (I did not grease or use parchment paper and had no problems with it sticking) and bake for about 20 minutes until lightly golden and crispy. Check after 15 minutes to make sure they are not getting too dark. Let cool on your baking sheet and they will continue to crisp up.
- These crackers do not need salt on top, but if you like you can use ½ tsp salt in the dough, and the other half on top.
They are perfectly simple, natural, crispy, cheesy, and salty. The ultimate snack for the whole family!
Make sure to check out my other homemade snack recipes!