Here's a fun ornament idea! Please be aware that the beads do release plastic smells/fumes as they melt. To avoid the smell, you can use a toaster oven outside for example in the garage with the doors open.
Melted Bead Ornaments
- Plastic pony beads
- Metal cookie or clay cutters
- Baking pan
- Aluminum foil
- Drill fitted with ⅛ inch drill bit
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line baking pan with aluminum foil to protect the pan and make it easier for the ornaments to release from the pan.
- Place cookie cutters on aluminum foil in baking pan. Fill each ornament with a single layer of beads. Use a toothpick or bamboo skewer to arrange the beads.
- Carefully put the baking sheet in the oven and melt the beads. The time can vary based on the type of bead. Begin checking at 5 minutes. (My ornaments took 15 minutes to melt.) The ornaments are ready when the beads are melted and the hole in each bead has disappeared.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely prior to removing from the cookie cutters. To remove the ornaments, gently pull the sides of the cookie cutter away from the ornament.
- Use the drill to create a small hole in each ornament for hanging.