Make some fun summer treats for the kids…rice krispie watermelon slices!! They can even be involved in the process of making them.
- 6 TBSP Butter, Unsalted
- 16 oz Miniature Marshmallows, Divided
- 1 TSP Vanilla Extract
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Red Food Coloring
- Green Food Coloring
- Chocolate Chips
- Parchment Paper
- Line 2 cake pans with parchment paper.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the miniature marshmallows, all except 1 cup.
- Stir until the marshmallows are melted. Add 1 tsp vanilla and mix.
- In a large bowl, pour the melted marshmallows over 6 cups of Rice Krispies.
- Mix together.
- Stir in the last cup of marshmallows and mix together.
- Divide the Krispies into 2 different bowls. (I put in a little bit more into one than the other, but not by a whole lot.) Tint one bowl green and the other red. I like to use the gel food coloring. The red comes out perfect without having to add a huge amount of coloring.
- Start with your green krispies. This will be your watermelon rind. Layer it around the outside edge of your cake pan.
- Once you have the outer green done, fill in the center with the red krispie mix.
- Press lightly into the pan and together to make sure the red and green will form together.
- Using chocolate chips, press gently into the red. These are your watermelon seeds.
- Let sit for about an hour to fully set.
- This will make 2 pans of watermelon rice krispie treats.
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.