While I love the convenience of setting and forgetting dinner, I LOVE crispy orange chicken. Here's a crockpot orange chicken version too! Growing up, getting chinese take-out was the best thing ever. I honestly ate cream cheese puffs for breakfast. My most recent favorite restaurant for orange chicken is Panda Express (YUM!) I have tried a few copycat recipes that used orange juice and I just hated them.
Watch me actually cook it in this video!
I thought I would try their 3 ingredient sauce on top and it turned out lovely! In fact, my husband was very excited to take leftovers to work the next morning (Note: he always "forgets" it but not this time :-) While it doesn't taste exactly like the restaurant, it has a fresh orange zest flavor to it. I think even adding some pepper flakes for some heat would make it better! Someone also mentioned adding garlic and ginger but I haven't tried it. Make sure to check out my recipe list page for more easy meals!
3 Ingredient Orange Chicken Sauce
- 1 Cup BBQ Sauce Sweet Baby Ray's
- 1 Cup Sweet Orange Marmalade Smucker's
- 2 TBSP Soy Sauce
Crispy Chicken Ingredients:
- 3-4 Chicken Breasts We used 3
- 1 Cup Flour/1 Cup Cornstarch You can use both or either/or
- 2 Eggs
- Oil We used vegetable oil
- In a sauce pan, add the BBQ sauce, marmalade, and soy sauce. Turn the heat on low and let it simmer for 20 minutes, stirring a few times.
- Meanwhile, cut up your chicken breasts into cubes. In one bowl beat 2 eggs, while the other bowl should mix the dry ingredients.
- Dip pieces of chicken in the egg and then cover in flour/cornstarch. Set on an extra plate.
- Add a thin layer of oil to a frying pan and turn your stove on medium/high heat. Once it sizzles, add the chicken to the pan. Let it cook for 3-5 minutes each side until it's brown and cooked on the inside.
- Set the oily pieces on a paper towel and let drain.
- Add the chicken to the sauce and toss!
- Eat it on top of white rice and enjoy. I think veggies would be good with it such as green peppers or broccoli.