This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our Disclosure Policy.
Authentic Guacamole Recipe
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp red onion finely diced
- 1 roma tomato diced
- Juice of half of a lime
- 3 garlic cloves finely minced
- ½ tsp seas salt or more to taste
- 1 ½ tsp cilantro finely chopped
- Cut the avocado length wise in half; going around the pit. Take both hands and twist the avocado in opposite directions to separate. Take your knife and firmly Take your knife and hack the pit, twist, and it should remove easily.
- Next take a spoon and scoop out the yummy flesh of the avocado making sure to go although down to the skin; you do not want to waste money.
- Place the flesh in a molcajeta/mortar and pestle or large bowl. Take the pestle or knife and firmly mash the avocados to your liking (some like it chunky others like it smooth). To that dish, add the remaining ingredients and gently fold until well incorporated.
- Taste the seasoning and adjust accordingly. Place in a serving dish and serve with chips or add to your entrée (e.g. tacos, enchiladas, carne asada fries, etc.). If you are not serving this right away, cover tightly with plastic wrap and or place in an airtight container and place in the refrigerator. Guacamole has a tendency to turn brown upon sitting out. However, usually if you stir the guacamole it'll revive itself.
*To test that you are getting a perfectly ripe, green, and creamy avocado try these tips: Remove the stem from the top, if it's bright green typically that means your avocado is perfect and ready to accompany your dish. Gently squeeze the avocado, if it yields to the pressure then its ready, if it dents too much it's override, and if barely gives in it's unripe and will be ready in about 2 days.