Make sure to follow Crafty Morning on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram or subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter! :)
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- Rind of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow gel food coloring
For the buttercream and decorations
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- Yellow gel food coloring
- 4 yellow straws
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, sugar and eggs. Add milk and lemon rind + juice.
- In thirds, add dry ingredients into your wet ingredients.
- Once batter is formed, add yellow gel food coloring and mix until completely tinted.
- Fill your lined muffin tin with your cupcake batter (each about 2/3 full) and bake for 15 minutes (or, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of a cupcake).
- Allow the cupcakes to cool on a wire rack before decorating.
- To make the buttercream, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar and milk until smooth. Add yellow gel food coloring and beat until completely tinted.
- Scoop the buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton icing tip #1M attached. Frost each cupcake.
This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information.