Here's a yummy summer pasta salad that you can make to bring to a BBQ or pool party! This dish is always a winner with the crowd.
Broccoli Bacon Pasta Salad with Bacon Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 12 oz. package Rotini pasta, I used the tri-color
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 cups raw broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, cubed
- ½ cup roasted sunflower seeds, salted or unsalted
- ½ cup crumbled, cooked bacon
- Bacon vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and rinse in cold water within colander.
- Place pasta in a large bowl and add the broccoli, cheese, sunflower seeds, and bacon. Pour the prepared vinaigrette over the salad and toss to coat.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled at least one hour or serve warm.
Bacon Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 4 bacon slices, chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- 5 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 ½ tablespoons coarse grained mustard
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
1. In a stockpot, cook bacon over medium-high until crispy. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels, reserving the bacon grease.
2. To the bacon grease, ad the minced shallot and garlic and cook until translucent and soft, about 3-5 minutes.
3. Turn off the burner; add the remaining ingredients whisking vigorously to combine all ingredients.
Taste and season if you prefer with salt and pepper.