I grew up in Minnesota and there was one thing we ate all the time- tater tot hotdish. Some call it a casserole but growing up hotdish is what we always called it! This recipe is one of my favorite things to make because it's simple and doesn't cost much to make! A lot of other recipes call for the tater tots to be underneath the meat mixture in layers but that makes them soggy and I prefer my tots crispy. If you have your own version please share in the comments, I always love to try new things :)
Tater Tot Hotdish Ingredients:
- ½ package of tater tots (32 oz)
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of beans
- 1 pound of ground beef
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 onion (chopped)
- Seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown your beef and saute your onions. Make sure you add some seasonings to the beef for more flavor!
- Drain the grease and add the mushroom soup, milk, and a ½ cup cheese to the pan.
- Stir in a can of corn with the beef and add salt/pepper.
- Dump a can of beans into the empty casserole dish and spread it out evenly.
- Top it off with your meat mixture and layer tater tots on top.
- Finish the hotdish by sprinkling a ½ cup of cheddar cheese on top.
- Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes depending on your temp. Make sure the cheese is melted and the tater tots are crisp/slightly browned!
- SERVE AND ENJOY!