This post may contain affiliate links, read our Disclosure Policy for more information. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases, thank you!
Make these gorgeous birds nest meringue cookies for an Easter or spring treat! They are delicious and SO cute! Your guests will go nuts for them.
Birds Nest Meringue Cookies
- 2 eggs room temperature
- ¼ tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ stick butter softened
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- Candied Easter eggs
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.
- Separate your eggs and pour the egg whites into a bowl (you will only need the egg whites for this recipe).
- Using an electric mixer, start beating egg whites on slow.
- Add ¼ tsp lemon juice as the egg whites mix.
- Increase the speed of your mixer and slowly add granulated sugar. Gradually increase speed to high.
- Beat the egg white mixture until it is white and forms stiff peaks. This should take about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the meringue mixture is done, scoop it into a piping bag, with Wilton’s 1M tip attached.
- Pipe out circular rosettes onto your lined baking sheet, about 2 inches in diameter.
- Once your rosettes are piped out, pipe out a second layer around the circumference of each rosette. This will leave a hollowed center to put your buttercream and candied eggs.
- Bake the meringue for 2 hours.
- Once the 2 hours are up, turn off the heat and let sit in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on wire rack.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and milk.
- The chocolate buttercream is ready once the ingredients are completely combined, smooth and for semi-stiff peaks.
- Scoop the buttercream into a piping bag, with Wilton’s icing tip #233 attached.
- Frost the center of each meringue. Add 2-3 candied eggs on top.
- Serve and enjoy!