I love love love how this cake turned out. It is a lot easier than it looks. I was completely terrified going into this, thinking I was in over my head. I wasn't...and you won't be either! I made this Monster Book of Monsters Cake for my twins' Harry Potter Themed Birthday Party. It was a definite hit at the party!!!
You will need:
- Milk chocolate frosting
- Vanilla frosting
- Box of cake mix (your choice)
- Goofy teeth
- 4 yellow gumballs
- Yellow food coloring
- 1 cherry airhead
- Cake decorating tips (ruffle, boarder, & lettering)
- Black permanent marker
Next you need to:
- Bake the cake according to directions. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Remove from baking dish & allow to finish cooling.
- Spread a thin layer of vanilla frosting over the entire cake. This will catch all your crumbs.
- Spread a think layer of frosting along the 2 shorter sides & 1 of the longer sides. Run a serrated knife along the icing to give the look of pages.
- Using the boarder time make short overlapping lines on the top of the cake & the remaining side.
- Use the marker to draw long snake like pupils onto the gumballs & place on top of the cake.
- Using the ruffle tip add some longer "hair" up over the eyes, hanging down over the "pages", & along the bottom of cake.
- Cut a triangle out of the airhead. Place into the "pages" along with the teeth.
- Add yellow food color to the vanilla icing. Using the lettering tip write out "The Monster Book of Monsters" on the cake.
This cake looks so neat!!!!!